First off, let me apologize to you for not publishing this monthly as promised. It was taking me around 15 hours to compile and edit the PDF each month and it was just overwhelming. I'll keep publishing it on a quarterly basis as a blog post moving forward. Thank you for understanding!
As always, I use the data that Facebook provides from their advertising management system. The actual numbers may be larger, but we're marketers and these are the people who can be marketed to.
- The fourth quarter of 2008 saw a 27.55% increase in the total population of Facebook going from 100 million users to 138.6 million. That's a larger increase compared to past months on this report.
- The US is still the largest segment of Facebook at around 42 million users. This is 282% greater than the next closest country (the UK)
- Italy and Romania had over 400% gains on Facebook leading the pack while the US led by total population gain at 9 million new users
- Norway and Canada have the largest percentage of their total populations on Facebook (over 25% each)
- South Africa was the only country to lose population in Q4
- Macedonia and Oman were the only new additions in Q4 2008
Top 25 Countries by total usersTop countries (in order greatest to lowest): US, UK, Canada, Turkey, France, Italy, Australia, Chile, Colombia, Spain, Argentina, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Hong Kong, Norway, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland, India, Greece, Finland, South Africa [Click image for larger version]
Top 25 countries by highest % of total population on FacebookTop countries (in order greatest to lowest): Norway, Canada, Denmark, UK, Chile, Iceland, Australia, Hong Kong, Sweden, Finland, Singapore, Puerto Rico, US, Luxembourg, Maldives, New Zealand, Lebanon, Cyprus, Israel, Malta, UAE, Switzerland, Belgium, The Bahamas, Colombia [Click image for larger version] *Note: This chart uses the total population of each country (not the online population)
Top 25 largest Q4 % gainsTop countries (in order greatest to lowest): Italy, Romania, tunisia, Slovakia, Indonesia, Spain, Argentina, Czech Republic, Uruguay, Bosnia, Slovenia, Serbia, Iceland, Ecuador, Macedonia, Oman, Belgium, France, Turkey, Switzerland, The Bahamas, Austria, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Morocco [Click image for larger version]
Top 25 largest total gainsTop countries (in order greatest to lowest): US, Italy, turkey, France, UK, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Australia, Chile, Denmark, Indonesia, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Venezuela, Colombia, Greece, Hong Kong, Serbia, India, Mexico, Finland, Malaysia [Click image for larger version]
Raw country population data for Q4 2008*Note that Macedonia and Oman are new additions to Facebook for segmenting purposes and don't have Q3 data.
|Country||Q4 2008||Q3 2008|
|Trinidad and Tabago||136,080||94,300|
Does anything surprise you on this? Anything else you would like to know?
|If you liked this post, you can subscribe to the Techno//Marketer RSS feed in your reader or sign up to get updates FREE by email.|