Here is a look at what is happening across a couple of sites I keep an eye on. I am refining this post over time, so if there is anything you would like me to add just email me or leave a comment. Similarly, if you have something you think is Buzz Friday worthy let me know and I'll look it over for inclusion.
[Audio should be good this week. You can subscribe via RSS to receive an update when I post a new video here.]
[Feed readers please click through to the post to see the video.]
Here are all of the items that I think are interesting this week:
- The iPhone launches at 6pm tonight at Apple and at&t stores nationwide. It will be interesting to see if they sell out or if the stores are just busy. By my calculations the phone plus one year of service is around $1500. People have been camped out for days to get the first couple units. To tell you the truth, I would be out there too, but I have Verizon.
- Greg Verdino has a great piece about loving your haters. Jason Calacanis proved this strategy successful the other day on his Calacanis Cast show when he invited four SEO critics and Jason stole the show.
- MySpace launched its MySpaceTV site and pretty much copied YouTube verbatim. Why mess with a good thing eh?
- Speaking of YouTube, traffic to the site is 50% greater than any other video site according to HitWise. I wonder if CBS still thinks going on their own is a good idea?
- CK has a great post on trust. How to lose it and how to win it.
- Google will now allow you to alter your driving directions through Google Maps. You can drag the routes to avoid construction and get where you're going with greater ease.
- Mentos has an interesting new site featuring their intern Trevor. Think Subservient Chicken in human form and real time.
- Buzz follows Kevin Rose (of Digg) wherever he goes in whatever he does. Marion Sundar covers his new venture Pownce combines IM, file transfer and Twitter-like presence and group push functionality. It's in limited beta so anybody with an invite to spare shoot it over.
- Dell has released some pretty new colors on their Inspiron laptops. Drew McLellan has a nice post about what happens when a product shifts categories. I do think, however, putting new colors on the same old hardware running MS Vista isn't a real shift. Apple was a radical shift because it combined the OS with the design.
- TMobile is creating cellular phones that can work on WiFi networks.
- Jeremiah Owyang at PodTech shares a brilliant idea from his trip to Singapore. A company provides a camera and printer for customers to take a picture. They're encouraged to take one home and leave one for their wall. It's become a tourist attraction and business driver.
- I attended a great virtual branding event at crayon's Second Life HQ the other day. I thought it was a great way to liven up what would be a mediocre phone conference. It allowed for the personal interactions that we take for granted about attending in real life.
- Flickr photos are now being indexed in Yahoo's search engine. This is a big boost for Yahoo.
- New DIY Twitter network service Frengo launches. This could be a big trend for branded uses of the technology.
- Apple quietly passed Amazon.com to become the third largest music retailer. This plus the iPhone are really giving Apple some momentum to try bigger, better things. Look out Best Buy and WalMart.
- Facebook's new open platform has put some fear into other networks including professional network LinkedIn. They've announced the plan to open up in a similar way.
Top 10 Technorati Searches
- ron paul
- video de noelia
- video noelia
- paris hilton
Top Five Web2.0 Movers of the Week (using Alexa data)
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from Viral Garden - No changes this week
- Seth's Blog
- Creating Passionate Users
- Gaping Void
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Logic + Emotion
- Diva Marketing (Go Toby!)
- What's Next
- Daily Fix
- Drew's Marketing Minute
View the top full top 25
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from Todd And - New to Buzz Friday
- Seth Godin
- Micro Persuasion
- Pronet Advertising
- SEOMoz Blog
- Online Marketing Blog
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Marketing Pilgrim
View the full list here
Top 5 "Viral" Videos This Week
- Dramatic chipmunk
- Mika Brzezinski rips Paris Hilton
- My iPhone Diary
- Microsoft Surface Parody
- Paul sings opera